This is why Healthy Kids is dedicated to improving some very alarming statistics
- Less than 10% of American children meet the recommended daily nutritional allowances for key nutrients
- Less than 25% of all U.S. teens get the recommended 60 minutes of daily physical activity
- 22% of American schools require no physical education, while only 2% require daily physical education
- 1 in 3 American children is overweight or obese, a rate that has nearly tripled since the 1960's
- 70 to 80% of obese children will become obese adults
- 1 in 8 deaths in America is caused by an illness directly related to excess weight and obesity. With 7 out of every 10 adults overweight or obese, the health impact is significant.
It is no surprise that childhood obesity has surpassed smoking, alcohol and drug abuse as the number one health concern of parents today—and not a minute too soon!
Obesity negatively impacts nearly all of the body's sysyems and there is a correlation between excess weight in early childhood and earlier and higher death rates in adulthood. Obese children can even have the arterial plaque build up of a 40 year old. In fact, overweight kids between the ages of 7 and 13 are at an increased risk for developing heart disease as early as their mid-twenties! Obese children are also more depressed, have less friends, do less well in school, and are percieved as less smart than healthy weight peers. Overweight and obese kids need our help now!
What we are
We are a full service online child wellness and pediatric weight management company solely dedicated to the health and wellness of your family. We are deeply committed to making children happier and healthier.
Our program provides general medical information related to family nutrition, fitness and activity, childhood obesity, and weight management.
What we are not
While Dr. Gardner is a licensed physician, she is unable to examine your child and therefore cannot provide individualized medical care or advice. This is a program developed by a physician, but it is not a substitute for good medical care from your child's personal physician.
We are a healthy lifestyle program, not medical treatment. Advice is general medical and based on current standards of practice. Any individual medical concern must be addressed by the member's own physician.
Our focus is on health and wellness, not weight loss. We do not advocate dieting in children. We believe maintaining current weight during normal growth allows the child to "slim down," not by weight loss, but by growing into his or her current weight. This gradual "weight optimization" is an easier goal to achieve than weight loss, and avoids the negative associations with dieting. Though the goal is not weight loss in kids, many participants will lose weight on the program, the result of healthier eating and lifestyle habits, not dieting!